Why Join Us?
What can we do for you?
As a member working your way through the different positions in the Lodge you learn:
- Responsibility to all of your Lodge Brothers and Sisters. To uphold the values of the IOOF and to make attending and helping at Lodge functions a personal goal.
- Taking part in Lodge ritual and learning different roles accurately.
- Speaking in front of or reading out loud in front of a group.
- Proper protocol on how to take part in a formal business meeting using Robert’s Rules of Order (Parliamentary Procedure).
- How to work with others on committee plans and successfully carry out a variety of Lodge related events and fundraisers.
- How to respectfully debate a topic in times of disagreement.
- Learn to put aside differences and work together for the good of the Lodge even if it doesn’t directly benefit you.
- The appropriate way to take minutes of a meeting and to keep important paperwork organized, filled out properly, and filed in a timely manner.
- How to keep proper financial records and to develop and maintain a budget for the Lodge.
- Marketing skills to promote the work of the Lodge using social media and traditional media like news papers, radio, and TV.
- Learn leadership skills to be empowered and confident.
- How to run a meeting and maintain control and decorum over the Lodge and how to mediate successfully when disagreements arise.
- Become a trustee charged with the care of the lodge property and any tenants it houses as well as managing any historical documents or artifacts.
- How to be an effective mentor for others who want to learn from you.
Once you move up to the Past Grand position you are eligible to:
- Gain a deeper knowledge of how a non-profit (501 c8) charitable organization works and how to make successful choices for it.
- Work on statewide/jurisdiction wide committees with greater responsibilities attached.
- Travel within the jurisdiction on official business when called upon, and conduct IOOF business with pride.
- Represent your lodge at Grand Lodge Session as their vote on legislation.
- Learn how to write Grand Lodge proposals and bills for debate and voting.
- Weigh out different investment options and manage a variety of properties without causing a loss to the Grand Lodge.
- Maintain large pools of membership information accurately.
- Act as a liaison between the Sovereign Grand Lodge and individual lodges.
- Acting as a coach and consultant to help individual lodges in need of assistance.
What can you do for us?
We are looking for individuals who have a variety of valuable skills to help us be the best Order we can be. Even though we have been around for 200 years, we are made up of almost entirely of men and women who volunteer their time and talents to make the Independent Order of Odd Fellows one of the oldest charitable organizations in the World. This grassroots approach allows us to spend most of the money we take in on helping others.
Are you and someone you know willing to:
- Assist us in building and managing websites and social media for lodges and Grand Lodges?
- Work as a liaison between the IOOF and other community organizations and foundations?
- Use your organizational and accounting skills to help with data and financial management of a variety of assets?
- Help organize fundraisers, events, and awareness campaigns?
- Use your skills in drama, art, music, and writing to help make being a member of a lodge a fun and enriching social experience?
- Use your marketing or PR skills to promote the IOOF on a local and national scale?
- Use your leadership skills to engage, empower, and motivate other members?
- Use your grant writing and grant management skills?
- Set and accomplish short and long term goals for a lodge?